Once again, the year is ending… and fortunately if you are reading this the world is still alive by the 21st, keeping away the catastrophic theories based on ancestral calendars. Currently it is hot and sunny today in Barcelona: we will start the winter at 20ºC. No snow at all for this winter break! Although Christmas is not a season or a time, but a state of mind…
Sometimes, you have to look back in order to understand the things that lie ahead, and by the end of the year is a perfect time in order to recall all the path we have gone in 2012. We have consolidated our brand name – Distributed Applications and Networks Area -, we have grown as a group (look at the photo!!), and internally we have created a new structure to organize us. We have created three research lines, based on the addressed topics: (i) the Future Internet Testbeds line, (ii) the RINA line, and (iii) the Infrasctructure Control and Management line. Moreover, we have gone one step further: we are converting the knowledge acquired during these last years in the research fields into valuable services for the enterprises; thus, we have created the Professional Services unit, devoted directly to satisfy the needs of the enterprises.
Furthermore, we have been involved in a lot of projects, meetings, activities, conferences, events, proposals…
- We are currently involved in several European FP7 projects (GEYSERS, GÉANT3, MANTYCHORE, BONFIRE, OFELIA, NOVI, RAISME, and FIBRE), and we have just started five new ones (CONTENT, SODALES, IRATI, FED4FIRE, and OFERTIE), holding different roles such as project coordinators, technical leaders, work package leaders or activity leaders, what positions ourselves as one of the most outstanding research and innovation groups around Europe. We are also involved in several national initiatives.
- We have strengthened our OpenNaas platform and the community has been launched and opened to the world
- We have maintained and increased our track of international collaborations with different enterprises, research centres and also universities
- We have participated in several standardisation bodies (TMF, OGF-NSI, or OGF-ISOD) in order to enable the developments we perform directly impact on industry.
- We have positioned as a key research centre for the main Software Defined Networking related activities within Europe
- We have also established ourselves as experts in the Infrastructure as a Service and Infrastructure Virtualisation topics within the research community
- We have developed core applications for Juniper within our Professional Services group. Such developments aim at providing added-value services to the worldwide corporation customers
- We have been involved as a core partner in the recursive inter-network architecture design and implementation, opening the door to a clean-slate designed Future Internet.
- We have formalised and improved relationships with the other i2CAT’s areas
- We have consolidated the PhD internal programme, and our two candidates have successfully presented their thesis proposals at the BAMPLA group of the UPC.
- We have been present in some of the most important European and worldwide networking and distributed applications events.
- And we have kept working hard in order to achieve most of the objectives that we had by the beginning of the year and that are not mentioned here…
Unfortunately, we had an emergency this last week and our director suffered from a bicycle accident! But please, do not worry, it seems that he will come back to the office next year with even more energy! Sergi, all of us (Joan Antoni, Eduard G., Eduard, E., Carlos, Leo, Celia, Iris, Jordi J., Eleni, Pau, Carolina, Josep Maria, Julio, Albert, Adrián, Josep, David, Manel, Isart, Jordi P., Tanya, Victor, Carles B., Hector, Sergio, Oscar, Joan, and myself – Jordi F.) wish you a fast and complete recovery!
So from these lines… all the DANA team, also including those who left during the year in order to accomplish their personal challenges, wishes a merry Christmas to everybody! A happy New Year to all the world! And all the best for all the projects, and activities that will come in the next year! And to Sergi a quick recovery! And remember to keep connected to us through this blog, our twitter account, or even subscribe to our newsletter!!
To your enemy, forgiveness.
To an opponent, tolerance.
To a friend, your heart.
To a customer, service.
To all, charity.
To yourself, respect.