Two thousand ten year’s end is getting closer. The winter is officially here, as of December the twenty-first. Snow is falling down and covering northern part of Europe. Our whole team is still working hard – as usual -, but we have had a brief break to have our Christmas lunch!
2010 has been a hard (but happy) year for us. We are now more than twenty employees. Internally, we became an independent unit within the i2CAT foundation with our own operating account and balance sheet, as well as our own organisation structure. We have grown up and we are now more than twenty persons in the office. Moreover, we have also…
- Started several new research projects within the EC FP7 programme with pro-active and important roles (project leaders, technical managers, work package leaders, or activity leaders)
- Got funding in new units of the EC FP7 programme (research for SMEs, 1.6 among others)
- Started FTTH/access networks group
- Become an strategic partner within the EC PPP programme
- Strengthened our collaboration with the local universities and their research groups
- Formalised and improved relationships with the other i2CAT’s clusters
- Established some strategic alliances with important companies (Juniper, Cisco, Alcatel, Vodafone or Tecsidel), national research and education networks (HEAnet, SURFnet or RedIRIS), and research institutions (Telefonica I+D)
- Contributed to the OGF standardisation body, since we actively participated in the Network Service Interface working group
- Consolidated the PhD internal programme
- Started internal training sessions for our researchers
- Been present in some of the most European and world wide important networking conferences and events
Our plans for next year do not differ too much from the ending year ones. We will keep our work aligned to our tri-anual (2010-2013) planned strategy. We will try to go for new ideas and projects pushing networking research one step forward. We will keep on building new alliances and collaborations. We will be again in the most important networking conferences and events and we will keep our effort to consolidate all the projects and activities we are involved in.
The whole Network Technologies Team (Sergi Figuerola, Eduard Grasa, Josep M. Silvestre, Joan A. García-Espín, Carles Bock, Pau Minoves, Josep Pons, Marc Suñé, Isart Canyameres, Eleni Trouva, Ester López, Celia Velayos, Alejandro Chuang, Leonardo Bergesio, Carlos Báez, Evelyn Torras, Jordi Jofre, Victor Jimenez, and myself, Jordi Ferrer Riera) wishes all of you a happy christmas and a happy new year!
Keep connected to us reading our blog! We will weekly publish our news and updates!“So this is Christmas, and what have you done, another year over, and a new one just begun, and so this is Christmas, I hope you have fun, the near and the dear one, the old and the young, a very merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!” – John Lennon