The EC FP7 GEYSERS project has reached its first year of execution. We have released our first newsletter containing a summary of the first year activities and some of the plans to enhance GEYSERS outcomes. Beginning of February was a perfect date to hold a face-to-face meeting between the partners involved in architecture and implementation work packages of the project, that is WP2, WP3, and WP4. The main goal of the meeting was to consolidate the initial design phase in order to enable the development phase.
The meeting took place in Barcelona, concretely at i2CAT headquarters. We had three days plenty full of discussions. Some of the missing key design decisions regarding the architecture were taken and some of the design decisions taken during the first year were revisited and refined. The agenda was tight and quite extensive, but contribution and effort from the different participating partners helped to reach satisfactory outcomes from the meeting.
Some of the principal points discussed can be summarised as follows:
- Information Modeling Framework (IMF) of the project presented. University of Amsterdam presented the developments done up to the moment and the editor they have created to build examples of resources located within the scope of GEYSERS
- Whole GEYSERS architecture refined. The management side of the architecture has been considered now. University of Essex is working in the new picture that includes all the new elements (such as the Virtual infrastructure manager).
- Virtual infrastructure re-planning scenarios were characterised and are ready to be further analysed. A decision in order to decide which ones are implemented was postponed. Multi-domain scenarios were also discussed.
- The simulator framework first release, regarding the Network Control Plane side, was presented. IBBT made a short demonstration of the prototype.
- The architecture and workflows of the Logical Infrastructure Composition Layer (LICL) were accepted by all the partners. i2CAT is leading this key work line of the work package as WP3 leader.
Apart, there were several aside discussions that helped to clarify open action items. But not everything is work. In order to improve personal relationships among the participants we organised also a dinner at the restaurant Cent Focs , a centric place in Barcelona where we had dinner. And then we went for some beers… but this is another story!